Luminous is a free projection software designed to meet the needs of a contemporary worship service. It currently supports the following features:
- Dual-monitor display mode for distraction-free service. You see your own screen while the congregation sees only what's intended to be presented.
- Simple and uncluttered user interface. Little needs to be taught, volunteers can get themselves familiar with the software in minutes.
- Full keyboard control. You have full control of what is to be projected using keys on your keyboard.
- Song database. Managing your collection of lyrics is easy; searching for a song is simple; importing and exporting songs, not a problem.
- Extensive text formatting with background image. Get your lyrics projected the way you want it. Text outlines and shadows are supported.
- Transition between slides. Cross fade transition can be utilised for smooth transition between slides.
- Supports all languages in the world. Project lyrics in your language.
- Displays song copyright license. Customised copyright license can be configured to display anywhere on the screen.
- Undo and redo. There's no need to panic if you've accidentally removed a presentation item in the middle of a service, just hit undo and no one will know.
- Video support. Plays DVDs, .mpg, .avi, .wmv, .vob and .mov movie files.
- Flash support. Plays .swf files.
- PowerPoint support. Run your PowerPoint presentations straight from Luminous, no need to switch between programs. You can even jump from a PowerPoint slide to another item (song slide, movie), then back to another PowerPoint slide, all using just mouse clicks.
- Image support. Display image files of the following formats: .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .png and .pcx.
- Minimal system requirements. Luminous can run on a 400MHz processor 64MB RAM system without special graphics card. It can also run in a single monitor environment.
- Portable and no installation required. Luminous can be launched from a USB drive, no installation needed to be performed on the PC.
- Display server broadcasting what's being projected. You can have a (client) program running on another computer that's connected to the display computer, and this program can display what's being projected from the projector. This is a good way to get multi-projection working without having to install extra graphics capability on the projection computer. Let's think of where this technology can take us to in the future, we can stream chords and lyrics to certain client programs - musicians can see chords on their screen, we can even enable some clients to tell Luminous which slide to show next - worship leaders can control Luminous from another device, is that cool or what?
Latest release is version 0.9.10 (released on 15th February 2007), you can download it here (3.57MB).
What's new in this release
- added progress bar and progress indicator for video items
- added global transition duration
Click here for previous changes.
- 400MHz processor (faster processor is recommended for demanding presentations)
- 64MB RAM (more memory is recommended for demanding presentations)
- Windows 2000, XP (Windows 98/ME version can be made available if there is demand)
- Dual video output graphics card (Luminous can run in a single video output environment but the operator won't have his own screen to operate from)
Disclaimer: This software is provided "as is" with no guarantee that it can miraculously meet all your church media needs. You are aware and agree that use of the software is at your sole risk, the developer shall not be held responsible for damages, sudden burst of unwholesome words, or even excommunication that result from the use or inability to use the software.